If you are a hardcore traveller by heart, then a train tour in Europe is a must for you. When these trains pass through meadows of heaven, across snow-clad hillsides, and through dense woods, the journey sends you to a world of retirement. Hence, train tours in Europe are extremely popular and moreover, it is the best way to witness the wonders and delights of the continent.
But how to travel in Europe by Train? If you are looking for an answer to this question, then you have reached the right place. Here, we are with a brief guide on rail travel in Europe.
Benefits of Train Travel in Europe
- Most of the train stations in Europe connect the central parts of a town or a city. Hence, reaching the middle of the city would be too easy if you travel by train
- You don’t have to carry physical tickets with you and have the risk of losing them as E-tickets are available nowadays on the phone
- You get to enjoy the best sceneries in the world
- European trains have great comfort with world-class facilities onboard
- You can get youth discounts in several European countries if you are under the age of 26 years
- You don’t have to pay any luggage fee while travelling by train in Europe
- Avail yourself of sleeper car bunks at an additional cost if you are travelling overnight and wish to sleep comfortably in the train
- You can bring anything on the train including alcohol and enjoy your trip to the fullest.
How to Buy Train Tickets in Europe
Buying a train ticket in Europe is not a big deal as you have a number of options available to go with. There are three ways to book train tickets in Europe:
One of the easiest ways to book your train tickets in Europe is by using the online method. You can either use third-party booking sites or go on the official website of the European trains. You can also download their train ticket booking app and book your ticket right there without any hassle. Omio, Trainline, and Rail Europe are some of the best sites you can use to book train tickets. You can also compare prices on different routes on these sites.
Offline (At the Station)
Another option is visiting the train station and getting your ticket from there! You can either use the ticket window or the automated ticket machines to get your train ticket. If you do not wish to encounter long queues, then it is recommended to get your tickets from the vending machines.
If nothing given above works out for you, then you can also buy a Eurail pass that would allow you to travel anywhere in Europe by train. Though the pass comes with a fixed number of rides, you can always upgrade it to unlimited rides.
How to Travel By Train In Europe
Now, let’s understand the process of travelling by train in Europe step by step:
- The first and foremost step is to buy a train ticket, either through an online or offline method. If you have booked your tickets online, you can receive them either on your phone and download them or get them home-delivered.
- Now that you have the ticket in your hand, search for the railway station you are taking your train from and reach there at least 20 min from the departure time.
- Find the platform you need to catch your train from
- Validate your ticket using the counter
- Once your train has arrived, board the train and find the car and seat number
- Now, you are all set to enjoy your ride.
Tips to Train Travel In Europe
- While on the train, always keep your ticket handy and show it to the ticket checker
- Book your train tickets in advance as the closer you are to the departure date, the more expensive your ticket will be
- Not every train has access to Wi-Fi and hence, make sure to be prepared for that
- If you are going on a long ride, always bring along snacks and a water bottle
- Overnight train journey in Europe is often considered a must-have experience